Thursday, 27 September 2018 | 11:00 - 12:00
Surface finishing treatments can have a significant impact on the properties of fasteners, making them more suitable for specific applications and allowing safer joints.
Typically, surface coatings are applied to extend the operating life of such devices, increasing their resistance to corrosion and wear, but also for decorative purposes. In the fasteners coating process there are many factors to consider:
- the conditions of use, such as corrosive environments, extreme temperatures or strong physical stresses;
- the construction materials, since the coupling of materials with different nobility can cause an early degradation of the materials;
- the dimensional aspect because the thickness of the coating can not exceed a certain limit in order not to cause assembly difficulties;
- hydrogen embrittlement due to the various stages of processing and which may cause the elements to break;
- the aesthetic aspect and the colour that allow an immediate identification of the elements;
- environmental issues related to the use of chemicals subject to restrictions.
The meeting will have the aim of illustrating the state of the art of fastener coatings and of introducing future prospects.